Skip to main content

Akitas can be off leash, but before you do.....

f you read Akita rescue sites (and other breed sites), they are so black and white. I don't think any dog that does not have the temperament, training or social skills should be off leash, but to lump Pits, Akitas and other breeds all together is silly. It would be as foolish for me to say that since you have a Lab or Golden Retriever you can let them off leash, around kids and pretty much take them anywhere since they're "non-aggressive" breeds.  I've ran across Labs that are horribly dog aggressive and Akitas/bully breeds that are just wonderful around other dogs.

My prior Akita mix and Jade have great dog skills. As with any prey driven breed (insert all Terriers, Shepherds and just about all dogs) you need to realize they will chase animals smaller than them. Sure, I consider my self a pretty good trainer, but to tell every Akita owner not to have the dog off leash, around kids, other dogs, in public blah, blah, blah. If I had not already owned a prior Akita I would not own one with all the published restrictions listed on the Internet. I expect a dog to be involved in my life, not live it at the end of the leash or to only associate with 3 other dogs it's whole life. I have worked with aggressive Poms to Pits and everything in between. Aggressive dogs are tough to live with in any size. I think as an owner of proven aggressive dog, you need to establish a reliable recall more so than a person with a safer dog. Why?  Some day, your dog will be off leash.  They will get out your front door, fence or off your leash. Whether an Akita or Lab, you better be able to control your dog off leash. You better know how safe your dog is around people and other animals. I know Jade's triggers. I know, despite being an Akita, if she were to get off leash she would not hurt humans, small animals or other dogs (unless they attacked her).  I initially trained her off leash to have the control when I needed it. I spent months evaluating her temperament in a variety of situations. So after several hundred dog interactions, 20-30 cat-to-dog experiences, and hundreds of people in many social settings, Jade is as safe as any dog I've had. As a result, Jade has more freedom than other dogs.  I'm not a big fan of dog parks, since there are too many unknowns with people and dogs. The wrong people with the wrong dogs often show up at dog parks. Additionally, I do have to battle breed bias with Jade.  If a dog like a Lab or small breed were to actually attack Jade (or other biased breed) and she did reciprocate her and I would be on the losing end of that battle.  I do work Jade in structured playgroups and controlled playgroups in my training sessions.

We have to stop stereotyping all dogs, whether Labs or Akitas. We are destroying the breeds and poisoning the mind of dog owners. If Akita owners would socialize their puppies better they'd have more reliable Akitas around other dogs and people,  this actually goes for all breed owners.  I meet clients with 1 year old dogs who have met maybe 20 dogs their first year and wonder why their dog has little dog social skills. This year I went for a 2 hour walk at the lake with Jade we met a family swimming and Jade saw a mirad of small animals, other dogs and people. I'd like to report all are still alive and well. She was off leash the whole time and we just hiked, swam and got muddy.

Over the past year and half with Jade I've had the chance to work with 20 or so Akitas through Blue Moon Akita Rescue. Of these, I would only classify one as dog aggressive (and human). Unfortunately, we could not adopt him out. As for the others, they all met and interacted with Jade and the other rescue Akitas without much issue.  Would I allow them to run off leash at a dog park or hiking trail?  NO. Not because they're Akitas, but because I do not know them well enough or was their off leash control reliable enough for me do it safely.  I'd say the same thing if they were all fluffy Golden Retrievers.  I think all of them had the potential to be reliable and social dogs, with enough training and on going socialization. Most owners I meet will never have enough control of their dogs to run them off leash any other place except their backyard or other confined spaces.  To limit what you think you can do with a dog because it's a certain breed is silly. I have friends who run Pits in agility, frisbee and other social events around other dogs.

Sure, many of your Asian breeds do not react to a dog until they are with 1-2 feet, unlike some of your more reactive breeds who may signal their displeasure from several feet.  Be aware of breed specific traits, but don't let it cloud your evaluation of animal behavior. I've made many mad saying that Shibas and Akitas are just dogs.  I love my rescued pure breed dogs, but when it comes down to it they are all just dogs. Breeding created some consistent traits among the breeds, but they are all dogs.

Whether you can safely take your dog off leash will depend on your dog's temperament, your willingness to put the time in on training reliable off leash control.

Don't ever take your (insert breed) anywhere and always keep it on leash. As a result, dog owners end up with an undersocialized, reactive mess of a dog who never sees anything more than a home, backyard and all of on leash it's whole life. I will agree, the average Lab is probably safer at the park than the average Akita, Pit, Shepherd or other reactive breed. Then again I think Akita breeders could work at mating the less aggressive Akitas and producing an overall more manageable dog. Same goes for the owners of other fighting breeds. My Jade is all Akita, she's happy with people and most dogs. If another dog really attacks her she fights back, like an Akita. Then again, I don't expect any dog to not fight back if the other dog is serious - they're dogs. However, Jade will take the high road and walk away in most instances if there's an escape route instead of fighting,  or if I call her to me.

I was also told my 3 shibas should never be let off leash for the same reason. Go to any of the shiba websites and read what they post. Don't look now, Shibas in the water!

No dog should be let off leash if the owner does not know their dog's temperament and social skills. Additionally, you need to have off leash control of any dog. Make sure you pick a dog with a solid temperament, socialize the heck out the dog and train them in the basics - Come, Sit, Stop, Down and Stay.

If you fail to ever train for reliable off leash control, when your dog does get off leash (and it will) you will be putting your dog's life in danger and the possibly the lives of other dogs and people. Train for off leash control, not for the occasional walk in the park, but in those emergency situations when you need your dog back immediately.  Once you have the off leash control you may find that it opens up another whole world for your dog and you. There is more to life than a leash and the walls of your home.

Two paws up!







Comments

Anonymous said…
I think you're completely right. I have two male Akitas, a male lab/rottie mix, and a female yorkie poo who all get along great. Not only that, I also work at a dog daycare place where my dogs play in large groups of other similar sized dogs. Have my dogs every started a fight? No. Will my dogs protect themselves or me if they have to? Yes. I wouldn't change that fact about them though. Granted I've been bringing my first Akita and the lab/rottie since they were young so they grew up very social. My other Akita however I adopted when he was a year old. He was a stray who got picked up by animal control. Not only did he do great with the other dogs at work, he and my other Akita, both males, are inseparable. You can't judge a breed based on stereotypes. Each dog is an individual and needs to be treated as such.
ETC said…
Couldn't agree more. It's nice to hear a rational assessment. There is so much bullshit and pseudo science going around in the dog world that it can be utterly mind numbing. People assert strong fact like claims about behaviours and genetics and how they relate, with absolutely no education on the subjects what so ever. It's all based on uneducated, unscientific opinion, and single situation, anecdotal "my dog does ..." reasoning.

I'm not the sort to make broad sweeping judgements of entire groups of people, but sometimes it seems that the dog world is brim full of people who are incapable of thinking logically, rationally, or critically about anything. Case in point, nearly every single breed is described as being particularly intelligent. Ask any dog owner, of any breed, about how intelligent that breed is and there is probably a 9/10 chance that they respond with "oh yeah, [insert their dogs breed] are one of the most intelligent breed of dogs".

Popular posts from this blog

How to maintain a nice yard, despite your dog's best attempt to destroy it.

I have had up to four at time dogs at a time and almost an acre of backyard. My wife and I like a nice yard, but not necessarily a manicured lawn. The biggest plus of a nice thick lush lawn is a lot less mud and dirt comes in on the 16 paws. Our dogs have open access to the yard through a dog door all year around. People stop over and are amazed that the backyard is a thick lush green carpet of grass.  No dirt spots from the dogs digging and there are no discernible paths in the yard from 16 doggie paws walking their daily routes.  Know thy dog   Dogs are territorial by nature and creatures of habit. Each and everyday my four dogs walk the exact same route around the yard, stopping to pee on everything from a fence post to an old basketball .  If an animal has gone through the yard during the night before, the dogs feel the need track the varmints steps through the yard, often several times. Combine this with the occasional stray that runs the fence with them, the grass eventually get

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up Small dogs and puppies can be difficult to housetrain, especially when many of us work all day. In some instances tea-cup dogs may never be able to go more than 6-8 hours without needing a potty break. This set up allows you to teach your puppy or small breed to go on grass and enable you to go to work or be away for more than 8 hours is necessary. Fig 1 Fig 1 shows the set up, a crate, exercise pen (Foster and Smith) and a doggie litter box with a piece of sod in it. The set up should be initially set up where the puppies will spend most of their time with humans. Over the next 6 weeks this set up will be moved into the laundry room and the litter box will be treated much like a cat litter box. In this example it’s being used for 2 tea-cup Pomeranians. At 12 weeks of age one of the Poms was already using the litter box consistently enough to be left out several hours if needed. The puppies were also taught to go outside and since