Skip to main content

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up

Small dogs and puppies can be difficult to housetrain, especially when many of us work all day. In some instances tea-cup dogs may never be able to go more than 6-8 hours without needing a potty break. This set up allows you to teach your puppy or small breed to go on grass and enable you to go to work or be away for more than 8 hours is necessary.


Fig 1

Fig 1 shows the set up, a crate, exercise pen (Foster and Smith) and a doggie litter box with a piece of sod in it. The set up should be initially set up where the puppies will spend most of their time with humans. Over the next 6 weeks this set up will be moved into the laundry room and the litter box will be treated much like a cat litter box. In this example it’s being used for 2 tea-cup Pomeranians. At 12 weeks of age one of the Poms was already using the litter box consistently enough to be left out several hours if needed. The puppies were also taught to go outside and since the puppies are acclimated to going on grass they also go readily outside. Fig 2 and 3 show the same set up from different angles.

Fig 2&3



You will still need to watch your puppies when using this set-up. When they are not confined to the exercise pen you will need to follow the normal housetraining routine. This includes a consistent feeding and watering schedule, keeping the dog tethered to you so you can see them or confined to the room with you. If the puppy starts to have an accident immediately place the puppy on the grass and praise them when they go on the grass in the litter box. A puppy may miss the grass on occasion, but with practice they will seek out the grass and relieve themselves their when needed.

This will work wonderful and you may even see the puppy or small dog seek out his area to potty instead of going in other places in the house.

www.kcdogguy.com

Comments

I will try to copy that kind of setup for dog crate training. That kind of setup will make the training faster. I am glad that I found this article.
Unknown said…
I have been trying this example but I didn't put the crate and he makes a mass I don't know what to do
Unknown said…
Crate Training is really outstanding training. please do learn it from my articles.
John Hamrick said…
Thank you so much for taking the time for you personally to share such a nice info. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share.
Great post!I am actually getting ready to across this information,i am very happy to this commands.Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have.Well done,its a great knowledge.
Gundog Puppy Training Commands
Dog Breeds said…
Wow great ideas!I just discovered your blog and I enjoyed going through it. I find lots of useful information here. Visit here for Best Dog Food for PUGS and Best dog foods pitbulls.

Popular posts from this blog

How to maintain a nice yard, despite your dog's best attempt to destroy it.

I have had up to four at time dogs at a time and almost an acre of backyard. My wife and I like a nice yard, but not necessarily a manicured lawn. The biggest plus of a nice thick lush lawn is a lot less mud and dirt comes in on the 16 paws. Our dogs have open access to the yard through a dog door all year around. People stop over and are amazed that the backyard is a thick lush green carpet of grass.  No dirt spots from the dogs digging and there are no discernible paths in the yard from 16 doggie paws walking their daily routes.  Know thy dog   Dogs are territorial by nature and creatures of habit. Each and everyday my four dogs walk the exact same route around the yard, stopping to pee on everything from a fence post to an old basketball .  If an animal has gone through the yard during the night before, the dogs feel the need track the varmints steps through the yard, often several times. Combine this with the occasional st...

Training and Dog Behavior Videos on YouTube!

Just a quick blog tonight. I created a YouTube account to be able to post some videos on another dog site. Then I thought why not put some of my best training and dog behavior videos on YouTube for my Wayside peeps, Akita peeps and anyother peep that wants to watch. www.youtube.com/user/kcdogguy I have three videos posted right now. One is a corny video of Jade coming when called at the lake. The other two show two sets of dogs playing in slow mo. If you want to get really good at reading dog behavior watch it at 20-30% of it's normal speed, without the sound. Listen with your eyes, I'll say it again. Listen with your eyes! When I work with people and their dogs, they break up the good play and let the bad behaviors escalate into a fight. My rule of thumb is to stay about 3 feet away from a dog when I first bring them into a playgroup. It's close enough for me to read the b ehavior of the new dog, others in the group and intervene if I have to. This is Jade and Devito p...