Skip to main content

The Training of Jade Part 3



Jade's training is coming along. We made our 3rd trip to Smithville this weekend. I keep pushing while we are up there and letting her have more freedom. On this trip I let her pursue a mouse all the way to the hole. I got Jade to about a 90% recall without any issues. She's an Akita with a high predatory drive so I need to be able to stop and recall her when I need to.

I'm a lucky trainer, Wayside Waifs has allowed me to bring Jade to the shelter on Saturdays when I volunteer. As a result she has met over 200 dogs in the past 4 months I've had her. Jade's dog to dog skills have increased 10 fold. She's able to adapt to a variety of dogs. Even if a dog really snarks at her she will walk away. I still need to work on her issues with resource guarding items from other dogs. Even for me, that takes a bit of work, but I am working on it. Tonight we went to Petco and for a walk at Zona Rosa (an outdoor mall). Every week for the past 4 months I've had Jade she has been to Petco, Wayside , farm, park, lake, outdoor mall or other unique setting 2-3 times a week. As a result, she is calm and non-reactive in just about every environment now. I've had a couple of consults lately, and each time it may be a training issue, but it's also a huge lack of socialization.

Socialization is not just taking your dog somewhere, but progressively taking them to new environments. Once in a new environment take control and do some easy training. Come-Sit, attention, or just sit and relax. When people approach, have them help you train your dog. If your dog is out of control, pick a less distracting environment. I cringe when I see people take their under socialized dog to a dog park. The poor dog never had a chance. Think of your home as the main circle. The ultimate sphere of control. You need to be able to control your dog in that main sphere before going to the next outer circles. Think of each new environment as a new circle, master it and move on to the next one.


If you do, then you can have a happy dog like this one. I've changed my website. Everyone always refers to me as the dog guy, so now I am http://www.kcdogguy.com/


Remember shelter dogs rock! www.waysidewaifs.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to maintain a nice yard, despite your dog's best attempt to destroy it.

I have had up to four at time dogs at a time and almost an acre of backyard. My wife and I like a nice yard, but not necessarily a manicured lawn. The biggest plus of a nice thick lush lawn is a lot less mud and dirt comes in on the 16 paws. Our dogs have open access to the yard through a dog door all year around. People stop over and are amazed that the backyard is a thick lush green carpet of grass.  No dirt spots from the dogs digging and there are no discernible paths in the yard from 16 doggie paws walking their daily routes.  Know thy dog   Dogs are territorial by nature and creatures of habit. Each and everyday my four dogs walk the exact same route around the yard, stopping to pee on everything from a fence post to an old basketball .  If an animal has gone through the yard during the night before, the dogs feel the need track the varmints steps through the yard, often several times. Combine this with the occasional st...

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up Small dogs and puppies can be difficult to housetrain, especially when many of us work all day. In some instances tea-cup dogs may never be able to go more than 6-8 hours without needing a potty break. This set up allows you to teach your puppy or small breed to go on grass and enable you to go to work or be away for more than 8 hours is necessary. Fig 1 Fig 1 shows the set up, a crate, exercise pen (Foster and Smith) and a doggie litter box with a piece of sod in it. The set up should be initially set up where the puppies will spend most of their time with humans. Over the next 6 weeks this set up will be moved into the laundry room and the litter box will be treated much like a cat litter box. In this example it’s being used for 2 tea-cup Pomeranians. At 12 weeks of age one of the Poms was already using the litter box consistently enough to be left out several hours if needed. The puppies were also taught to go outside and since ...

Training and Dog Behavior Videos on YouTube!

Just a quick blog tonight. I created a YouTube account to be able to post some videos on another dog site. Then I thought why not put some of my best training and dog behavior videos on YouTube for my Wayside peeps, Akita peeps and anyother peep that wants to watch. www.youtube.com/user/kcdogguy I have three videos posted right now. One is a corny video of Jade coming when called at the lake. The other two show two sets of dogs playing in slow mo. If you want to get really good at reading dog behavior watch it at 20-30% of it's normal speed, without the sound. Listen with your eyes, I'll say it again. Listen with your eyes! When I work with people and their dogs, they break up the good play and let the bad behaviors escalate into a fight. My rule of thumb is to stay about 3 feet away from a dog when I first bring them into a playgroup. It's close enough for me to read the b ehavior of the new dog, others in the group and intervene if I have to. This is Jade and Devito p...