Skip to main content

Create a Socialized Dog

It's been a little over a year with Jade. In that time I've become more involved in Akita rescue, started teaching classes again at Yappy Hour Pet Resort (www.yappyhouronline.com), and most recently lost my little man Tazz. Luckily, a constant in all of this has been Wayside Waifs (www.waysidewaifs.org) which is always my main cause. If it had not been for my Tazz, I would never have been a dog trainer or Wayside volunteer.


When I adopted Jade my goal was to have an "everywhere" dog like I had with Michigan and Tazz. Michigan and Tazz went to schools, parks, Wayside and often both off leash when we could. Michigan was an Akita/St Bernard, but as I look at past picture he was a whole log Akita. I made mistakes with both dogs, Tazz was well trained, but could have been better with other dogs. Michigan, well I can't say he had any issues but he made me look like a much better dog trainer than I really am. One common theme between both dogs were they were both socialized, safe and trained. While Tazz could have been more dog-social he met hundreds of dogs in his lifetime, 200 or so that passed through our home.  When I taught my first classes in 2004, I stressed this same issue to my clients. Get out and explore the world with your dog and train as you go. 


Jump to 2010, I still stress this very same fact. Once you know your dog's temperament and teach enough control commands to have an 80% success rate in your immediate environment (home and yard) then move to the rest of the world.  With my experience at Wayside I understand that breed does matter when it comes to a dog, but I also know that it's not the first thing I consider. I've worked with thousands of dogs and I see friendly pitbulls to aggressive labs on any given day. No matter the breed, I look at their temperament:
  • general reactivity to their surroundings - how well do they handle changes in their life?
  • sociability - do they like being around people?
  • resource guarding - people, places, items
  • Arousal level - do they generally appear relaxed or tight?
  • How much control do I have with them or their owners
If all goes well, then I move forward with normal training always looking for warning signs that might be specific to their breed. So this year I was surprised when I got blasted for comments on Akitas off-leash by some Akita purists (www.network54.com/Forum/187550/thread/1255915250). They even called me a "bit of a nutcase" since I believe that if your dog's temperament and your control will allow - you can have your dog off leash. I'm never a fan of ultimatums with anything (get it?). I don't believe that any particular breed should "never" be off leash. I have Akita acquaintances in Europe who hike and fish with their Akita, and know of an Akita meet and greet in California. Jade has been a pleasure to work with and she will start her humane ed work with Wayside Waifs shortly and get to meet thousands of kids, just like Michigan and Tazz did with their volunteer work.
If you want a well socialized, safe, trained and a dog who can be your "everywhere dog" you have your work cut out.  Instead of figuring your dog's triggers for your home and yard, you will need to be ready to see how your dog will react in world outside your immediate domain.  For Jade, I systematically:

  • Worked her with smaller and smaller dogs at Wayside to acclimate her to a selection of types and temperament. (left - after playing with her little friend)
  • I visited farms and areas with livestock and each time I worked the basics Come, Attention, Sit, Stay and long lead work when she was ready. 
  • I introduced her to obstacles like elevators, kids, fountains, power tools, tethering and yes - ran her off leash in parks and trails. 
  • Each week she accompanies me to a dog training classes and/or private consults.
I systematically approached each environment and when I noticed a potential problem I stopped and focused on it until we resolved it.  Jade has her triggers - nervous dogs who submissive lick her mouth constantly and she likes to resource guard her toys in a playgroup. She's better around small dogs than larger dogs, or at least seems to tolerate ornery or aggressive small dogs more than the large ones. Ian Dunbar has a great piece on socializing in this article.
"Additionally, to maintain self-confidence and offset the stress of adult-doggy discipline, an adolescent dog requires many positive social interactions. Regular play sessions and repeated friendly encounters are vital. However, for many dogs, socialization with other dogs is abruptly curtailed at between six to eight months, usually following the first couple of scraps. This is especially true for small dogs and large dogs. Worrying that a little dog may get hurt, the owner is more likely to pick him up and less likely to let him play. Similarly, worrying a large dog might hurt other dogs, the owner now tends to keep her restrained on a tight leash. Thus, at a crucial developmental stage, many dogs are seldom allowed to interact with unfamiliar dogs. A vicious circle develops—the dog desocializes and his bite inhibition begins to drift, whereupon fights and potential damage now become more likely, making it even more difficult to socialize the dog."  http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/fighting
As I said many times, I'm not a big fan of dog parks. They provide way too many opportunities of humans and dogs to make mistakes and I don't think they are a key part of a socialized dog. Dog socialization should be more controlled than a dog park. I really like the development of the socialization classes that some trainers run. I run them twice a month at Yappy's to help people evaluate their dog's social temperament and provide some guidance. In addition, a place like Yappy's allow people to meet and have canine get togethers with familiar dogs, a much safer alternative. 
Evaluate your dog first, as a dog, then by the breed and then look at your skills. Any one of those could limit what you can do with your dog.  Yes, that's Jade playing with a puppy...





Comments

jenniferintouch said…
I just found your blog and am feeling incredibly grateful for all you've posted. Thank you! You bring so much common sense to light in your posts. I've never liked dog parks, and disliked them even more after my Schnauzer, while on a leash at my side, was attached by a lab. I've always felt it was my obligation as a good dog owner to social my dogs at the dog park. I am going to look for smaller, structured groups of like minded dog owners and forget the dog parks. Thank you, again! -Jennifer

Popular posts from this blog

How to maintain a nice yard, despite your dog's best attempt to destroy it.

I have had up to four at time dogs at a time and almost an acre of backyard. My wife and I like a nice yard, but not necessarily a manicured lawn. The biggest plus of a nice thick lush lawn is a lot less mud and dirt comes in on the 16 paws. Our dogs have open access to the yard through a dog door all year around. People stop over and are amazed that the backyard is a thick lush green carpet of grass.  No dirt spots from the dogs digging and there are no discernible paths in the yard from 16 doggie paws walking their daily routes.  Know thy dog   Dogs are territorial by nature and creatures of habit. Each and everyday my four dogs walk the exact same route around the yard, stopping to pee on everything from a fence post to an old basketball .  If an animal has gone through the yard during the night before, the dogs feel the need track the varmints steps through the yard, often several times. Combine this with the occasional stray that runs the fence with them, the grass eventually get

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up Small dogs and puppies can be difficult to housetrain, especially when many of us work all day. In some instances tea-cup dogs may never be able to go more than 6-8 hours without needing a potty break. This set up allows you to teach your puppy or small breed to go on grass and enable you to go to work or be away for more than 8 hours is necessary. Fig 1 Fig 1 shows the set up, a crate, exercise pen (Foster and Smith) and a doggie litter box with a piece of sod in it. The set up should be initially set up where the puppies will spend most of their time with humans. Over the next 6 weeks this set up will be moved into the laundry room and the litter box will be treated much like a cat litter box. In this example it’s being used for 2 tea-cup Pomeranians. At 12 weeks of age one of the Poms was already using the litter box consistently enough to be left out several hours if needed. The puppies were also taught to go outside and since

Akitas can be off leash, but before you do.....

f you read Akita rescue sites (and other breed sites), they are so black and white.  I don't think any dog that does not have the temperament, training or social skills should be off leash , but to lump Pits,  Akitas  and other breeds all together is silly. It would be as foolish for me to say that since you have a Lab or Golden Retriever you can let them off leash, around kids and pretty much take them anywhere since they're "non-aggressive" breeds.  I've ran across Labs that are horribly dog aggressive and Akitas/bully breeds that are just wonderful around other dogs. My prior  Akita  mix and Jade have great dog skills. As with any prey driven breed (insert all Terriers, Shepherds and just about all dogs) you need to realize they will chase animals smaller than them. Sure, I consider my self a pretty good trainer, but to tell every Akita owner not to have the dog  off leash , around kids, other dogs, in public blah, blah, blah. If I had not already owned a prio