Skip to main content

My first dog - Tazz

TazzMan Buddy "Pooky" Gilbert
1996-2010
Rest in peace my little man
On July 12, 2010  at 14 years, 3 months and 3 weeks my little buddy Tazzman Buddy Pooky King "The Man" BKT Gilbert crossed over the Rainbow Bridge to join his buddy Michigan. Tazz is the first dog my wife and I got shortly after we were married and my very first dog ever. We went to a little place in Kansas and picked him out at 4 weeks.Inhindsight the facility was a puppymill, but we still ended up with a pretty good pup.

As a puppy Tazz didn't act like a puppy, he seemed more like a 9 lb dog in a puppy's body. Even though I had not yet began my life as a Wayside volunteer, dog trainer and knew nothing about dogs, I made my Tazz a constant companion. The first week we had him, we drove him down to Stockton lake for the weekend at 9 weeks old. Tazz was a fearless little puppy and enjoyed the lake and the many adventures we had over 14 years. As a puppy we knew he was special when on one evening he would not quick barking at a wall outlet. We pushed him away, but he persisted. At just 12 weeks old he found an outlet that was shorting out and save our home.
Some of our best adventures started when we began volunteering at Wayside Waifs. Tazz spend 8 years going to schools and other events to talk about Wayside and all things dog. His best friend Michigan accompanied him until his death 3 years ago at which time Tazz also retired at 12.  Michigan and Tazz were the dynamic duo. Together we spent hours at Smithville Lake just walking and playing. I still have the fetching stick I found there 8 years ago that we would play with.  A favorite trick of Tazz was to do body roll onto a rotting animal corpse, be it a deer or carp.  Other times we'd take the road trip to Iowa where he taught my mom to laugh again after my dad died. On one trip I left a bag of little chocolate donuts in the truck and when I returned Tazz was still stationed in the passenger seat, his head covered in chocolate. Tazz never looked guilty, just mad he got caught. One his favorite nicknames was BKT, Bunny Killer Tazz. Over 14 years 2 bunnies lost their lives to Tazz and one he proudly threw at Jan's feet in the house. Never a day went by that Tazz didn't make us laugh. What other dog would only take one of two grilled cheese sandwiches off the plate and leave you one? Whether it was chasing his bunny, or getting you to play tug of war he was always there.

Tazz always knew what to do around people.  When he met my grandmother he kept her feet warm, if at a school he find the kid who was the most scared and just sit next to him. A group of girl scouts once made Tazzcopters from his hair and took them as souvenirs.

Each evening Tazz would pace or bark for his favorite green chair and I would get out so he could take his place on the thrown.  A favorite trick was bone-thirty. 2-3 times an evening he'd grab a bone and go running through the house, Jan and I would yell bone-thirty until he stopped and received his milk-bone.  Tazz would help with projects around the home and always seemed on the verge of saying something. So many people said he was the only dog who looked like he could talk.
Three of his faithful companions preceded him in death, Michigan, Sasha and Jasmine. Poor Tazz was never the same after Michigan died and slowed a bit. We didn't realize the big guy was acting as Tazz's ears before he passed. Below is one of my favorite pictures of Tazz after playing with his bunny, the peaceful content look of a life well lived.  I will miss my little Pooky each and every day. 
  




Comments

I am so truly sorry for your loss of your beautiful Tazz, I know he is in a better place now and at the Rainbowbridge. I lost my beloved Akita Lab mix Timber last year, she was 13 1/2. She and I had been together since she was a about 9 week puppy and I was 13 myself when we had found each other. Please know you are in my thoughts, I am so deeply and truly sorry!!!

Popular posts from this blog

How to maintain a nice yard, despite your dog's best attempt to destroy it.

I have had up to four at time dogs at a time and almost an acre of backyard. My wife and I like a nice yard, but not necessarily a manicured lawn. The biggest plus of a nice thick lush lawn is a lot less mud and dirt comes in on the 16 paws. Our dogs have open access to the yard through a dog door all year around. People stop over and are amazed that the backyard is a thick lush green carpet of grass.  No dirt spots from the dogs digging and there are no discernible paths in the yard from 16 doggie paws walking their daily routes.  Know thy dog   Dogs are territorial by nature and creatures of habit. Each and everyday my four dogs walk the exact same route around the yard, stopping to pee on everything from a fence post to an old basketball .  If an animal has gone through the yard during the night before, the dogs feel the need track the varmints steps through the yard, often several times. Combine this with the occasional stray that runs the fence with them, the grass eventually get

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up Small dogs and puppies can be difficult to housetrain, especially when many of us work all day. In some instances tea-cup dogs may never be able to go more than 6-8 hours without needing a potty break. This set up allows you to teach your puppy or small breed to go on grass and enable you to go to work or be away for more than 8 hours is necessary. Fig 1 Fig 1 shows the set up, a crate, exercise pen (Foster and Smith) and a doggie litter box with a piece of sod in it. The set up should be initially set up where the puppies will spend most of their time with humans. Over the next 6 weeks this set up will be moved into the laundry room and the litter box will be treated much like a cat litter box. In this example it’s being used for 2 tea-cup Pomeranians. At 12 weeks of age one of the Poms was already using the litter box consistently enough to be left out several hours if needed. The puppies were also taught to go outside and since

Akitas can be off leash, but before you do.....

f you read Akita rescue sites (and other breed sites), they are so black and white.  I don't think any dog that does not have the temperament, training or social skills should be off leash , but to lump Pits,  Akitas  and other breeds all together is silly. It would be as foolish for me to say that since you have a Lab or Golden Retriever you can let them off leash, around kids and pretty much take them anywhere since they're "non-aggressive" breeds.  I've ran across Labs that are horribly dog aggressive and Akitas/bully breeds that are just wonderful around other dogs. My prior  Akita  mix and Jade have great dog skills. As with any prey driven breed (insert all Terriers, Shepherds and just about all dogs) you need to realize they will chase animals smaller than them. Sure, I consider my self a pretty good trainer, but to tell every Akita owner not to have the dog  off leash , around kids, other dogs, in public blah, blah, blah. If I had not already owned a prio