Skip to main content

Are you dominant or just an overbearing owner?

When you work with as many dogs as I do in any given week, you're bound to have a few dog fights here and there. I always try to avoid them when possible and work even a truly aggressive dog slowly towards meeting another dog. However, in the process of re-socializing a shelter dog it can happen.  In most fights a quick sharp sound or simply moving between the dogs and giving a quick Look and Sit command resolves 90% of the snarks that happen. Unfortunately, the remaining 10% requires me to break it up with a bit more force. Those incidents always leave me with feeling bad. I always feel that when a fight like that occurs, I missed something to prevent it, or pushed the training too quickly. A friend of mine found that surprising, but here is my reasoning.

Today I had worked with a dog who's dog skills deteriorated a bit since her time in rescue. I introduced her with some minor scuffles and lots of play. While I give little credence to  the whole male/male and female/female issues, I do like to run a dog by a variety of dog personalities. The little girl latched on to Jade's neck after a brief meet and greet, and short noisy fight ensued. As I would expect, Jade fought back and I broke them up and things were fine. So I thought.

It turns out I used too much force (noise, physical force etc.) for the situation. Nothing major, but for the dog's personality, just a little too much. Even after all the dogs I work with, when a real fight starts you want to stop it as quickly as possible before physical or emotional harm occurs to either dog. Yes, in some instances I still over reprimand for the overall temperament of a particular dog. I'm one trainer who is more than willing to admit my mistakes.

The dog now seemed what many would call submissive to me and did not want to fight with any other dogs in the group. Unfortunately, I feel I damaged my relationship with the dog. She would still approach me, wag, and seemed happy,  but her spirit was lessened.  She was almost too sweet to me, almost to say "You're not going to get mad again?"  In the heat of the fight I never got mad, rarely do, but breaking a dog fight up can be a noisy affair.  Your goal should always be to use the minimum amount of force to stop the fight and quickly gain control.

Now some owners and trainers may think, that I used enough force to show I was dominant and in charge of the situation. No, if I were an owner, I would classify my self in this situation as an overbearing owner who overreacted.  I added more dogs to the playgroup and the little female appeared fine. Maybe an arrogant trainer might feel a sense of accomplishment that the dog would not fight in their presence.  This is never my goal while re-socializing a dog. What I created was not generalized behavior modification, but a dog while in my presence, who will not fight.  My goal is to modify a dog's behavior to generalize, in this example I want the dog to enjoy  the company of other dogs, regardless of the humans present.  She did play after that situation and was cordial to me and the other human and dogs in the group, but I did not accomplish what I set off to do.  I now have to work with her again and really back off with my personality and energy. It's imperative she learn to play better with other dogs, regardless of who handles her.

I think that in some training circles. what I did and the result would the goal of the trainer.  I know for a fact a Kansas City trainer still insists that the owners must dominate the dog and only one person in the family should be the leader of the dog. This is the same trainer where each and every picture of the dog on his website has a big shiny prong(pinch) collar on them in the graduation picture. The whole class is about forcing the dogs down, the philosophy that the dog should fear you more than what they are afraid of.  I feel for these owners who go through this guys class and their dogs. You should be the leader, this does not have anything to do with dominance or pack theory. Watch this little video by Ian Dunbar http://www.dogstardaily.com/radio/pack-leadership.

Ask yourself, when you invoke "dominance" over your dog, are you really just being an overbearing bully to your dog? Step back and be a true leader to your dog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to maintain a nice yard, despite your dog's best attempt to destroy it.

I have had up to four at time dogs at a time and almost an acre of backyard. My wife and I like a nice yard, but not necessarily a manicured lawn. The biggest plus of a nice thick lush lawn is a lot less mud and dirt comes in on the 16 paws. Our dogs have open access to the yard through a dog door all year around. People stop over and are amazed that the backyard is a thick lush green carpet of grass.  No dirt spots from the dogs digging and there are no discernible paths in the yard from 16 doggie paws walking their daily routes.  Know thy dog   Dogs are territorial by nature and creatures of habit. Each and everyday my four dogs walk the exact same route around the yard, stopping to pee on everything from a fence post to an old basketball .  If an animal has gone through the yard during the night before, the dogs feel the need track the varmints steps through the yard, often several times. Combine this with the occasional stray that runs the fence with them, the grass eventually get

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up

Puppy and Small Dog Crate Training Set up Small dogs and puppies can be difficult to housetrain, especially when many of us work all day. In some instances tea-cup dogs may never be able to go more than 6-8 hours without needing a potty break. This set up allows you to teach your puppy or small breed to go on grass and enable you to go to work or be away for more than 8 hours is necessary. Fig 1 Fig 1 shows the set up, a crate, exercise pen (Foster and Smith) and a doggie litter box with a piece of sod in it. The set up should be initially set up where the puppies will spend most of their time with humans. Over the next 6 weeks this set up will be moved into the laundry room and the litter box will be treated much like a cat litter box. In this example it’s being used for 2 tea-cup Pomeranians. At 12 weeks of age one of the Poms was already using the litter box consistently enough to be left out several hours if needed. The puppies were also taught to go outside and since

Akitas can be off leash, but before you do.....

f you read Akita rescue sites (and other breed sites), they are so black and white.  I don't think any dog that does not have the temperament, training or social skills should be off leash , but to lump Pits,  Akitas  and other breeds all together is silly. It would be as foolish for me to say that since you have a Lab or Golden Retriever you can let them off leash, around kids and pretty much take them anywhere since they're "non-aggressive" breeds.  I've ran across Labs that are horribly dog aggressive and Akitas/bully breeds that are just wonderful around other dogs. My prior  Akita  mix and Jade have great dog skills. As with any prey driven breed (insert all Terriers, Shepherds and just about all dogs) you need to realize they will chase animals smaller than them. Sure, I consider my self a pretty good trainer, but to tell every Akita owner not to have the dog  off leash , around kids, other dogs, in public blah, blah, blah. If I had not already owned a prio